Things I am:
- An editor - this means I make edits to many pages, sometimes systematically, sometimes random.
- A student - I cannot devote all of my time to the wiki, but I can devote some time.
Things I claim to be:
- An infobox curator - I have designed most of the current infoboxes that sit across thousands of pages.
- A userbox curator - I have tidied up all of the current userboxes to help newer editors use them correctly.
- Somewhat knowledgeable - I know some extensive functions, but I am still learning myself.
Things I am not:
- A sysop/admin - I do not have the powers to do anything anybody else cannot do. So I won't be deleting pages, but I will mark them.
- A teacher - I can give general guidelines, but I cannot teach you how to edit the wiki.
- A Magic 8 Ball - I do not have every answer, but I can try. Send me a message and I'll see what I can do.
I'm going to be listing here all the pages I've editted so you can do your thing with hiding the categories and broken links since I've seen you fixing them, okay? If you'd rather I do it, all you have to do is instruct me on how to. Feel free to erase these as you fix them if it helps you keep organized! --Arch3ops (talk) 21:13, 24 July 2012 (CDT)
Monsters with Categories That Need to Be Hidden
Pictures with Broken Links
--Arch3ops (talk) 15:06, 27 July 2012 (CDT)
Well, as per your request, I have updated the Alchemy page with a full list of items that can be crafted, though it's a feast of broken links. I could work on creating the pages, but it'd be great if you could create a table so we can put the items by level to possibly make it easier for people to comprehend. Also, I'll see what I can do about the other professions!
- Wonderful! I will probably sort them the same way as the Smithing stuff. Thank you much for the help! Kitten Tale (talk) 23:32, 24 July 2012 (CDT)
You're very welcome! I started to do some work on the Smithing pages as well, I figured how to work the tables you had previously used, so all of the format's the same. I'll finish adding up other craftables tomorrow, but I'd like to highlight the fact that are a lot of missing pages for the (I'm assuming new, since I've never heard of them in my whole Maple lifetime) Walker stuff for level 70, Abyss, Fearless, and Von Leon stuff for level 125 and Imperial stuff for level 130, so I'm sure we could work on those, too!
--Arch3ops (talk) 00:18, 25 July 2012 (CDT)
- The problem is lack of editors, and lack of experienced players. We can't give good tips or good advice on some of these pages because we haven't been that far ourselves. Kitten Tale (talk) 00:21, 25 July 2012 (CDT)
That is indeed a very good point. Something that we could take advantage of is the fact that if you move your mouse to the picture of, say, an overall in the crafting window, it does show you all stats, upgrade slots, and sometimes, even set effects. Once I finish adding them to the list, I'll work on splitting my time into both creating pages for the missing equipments and other items and on updating monster drops according to their Monster Cards. If you have any other suggestions, you're more than welcome to write at my talk page any day. (:
--Arch3ops (talk) 00:32, 25 July 2012 (CDT)
Inserting Collapsable templates on large templates?
Do you know how I can add the collapse thing on large templates like the Maple Equipment template? ToaArrol (talk) 23:56, 25 July 2012 (CDT)
- You would probably have to convert your HTML into wiki syntax for it to work. It might work with HTML, but I'm not sure. In either case, you would have to add that class to the header line of each section. You could make it suggest categories, but that involves Parser functions and Variables (I don't think we have Extension:Variables on MapleWiki).
- On a side note, I've been browsing MediaWiki for a particular extension that might make editing easier for the pages we have now. Essentially, I'm looking for a way to validate pages so we know they're up-to-date.
- I think I might have found one here. Think Stephan will go for it? Kitten Tale (talk) 00:22, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
- See here for the Variables extension needed for effective collapsible templates. (By the way, do you have to put in the security code when you include external links?) Kitten Tale (talk) 00:50, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
- Testing new signature. Kitten |talk| 01:12, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
- I like this one better. Kitten (talk 01:17, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
Possible creation of a template
I've been adding some templates around as per your suggestion, but there's no template for event items that are no longer dropped. Which template should I use then? Simply the retired one? I've thought of doing that, but it might be a good idea to highlight it's a retired EVENT item.
--Arch3ops (talk) 13:18, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
- I don't think a template for retired event items is necessary. I think it should be generally assumed that if the item is obtained from an event, it cannot be re-obtained unless otherwise noted. I would make sure that when you find retired event items, you emphasize when it was given out (ie: Available from the 2012 event). Kitten (talk 17:53, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
I'm sure we could do that from now onwards, but there's a number of event items that I have no idea of when they came out.
--Arch3ops (talk) 18:00, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
- If you want to do some research, I would recommend checking other major Maple sites for more information. Back when I did work for Guild Wars Wiki, I ended up working on a Skill History project, and my main tool was researching what skills were before certain updates.
- If you decide to research, I would recommend finding out when posts about the item started showing up (if referencing a forum), and then searching Nexon's MapleStory News Updates. Sometimes you can even find quality images to use on the wiki by looking through their archives. Kitten (talk 18:03, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
.... that's too much work and too time-consuming, there's quite a number of other things to update, too. xD
--Arch3ops (talk) 19:48, 26 July 2012 (CDT)
Drop Table infobox
It has come to my attention that the Drop Table infobox doesn't have a column for scrolls. I do think it's necessary to add one, as many bosses drop a great variety of them. Also, the ores column is quite redundant now, as monsters don't drop them anymore.
--Arch3ops (talk) 15:06, 27 July 2012 (CDT)
- Monsters can still drop ore, so it's still a valid area.
- As for scrolls, they're broken down by type. Equipment scrolls have their own section, and non-equipment scrolls have another. Kitten (talk 16:25, 27 July 2012 (CDT)
Ah, that explains it. o: But well, since very few of them do, it makes sense to add it as an etc. drop.
--Arch3ops (talk) 18:37, 27 July 2012 (CDT)
- I think a fair number of them still do. We can't really know unless all of our monsters have been added with drop tables. Kitten (talk 19:05, 27 July 2012 (CDT)
I'll work on that. (: But still, I'm yet to kill a monster on GMS that drops ores post-Big Bang.
--Arch3ops (talk) 11:01, 28 July 2012 (CDT)
I think the possible addition of a recipe section might work for the drop list.... Look how messy this looks: Zakum --Arch3ops (talk) 00:15, 4 August 2012 (CDT)
I've been updating some monster Drop Lists and they're filled with broken links. I'm not entirely sure how to create the hidden categories, but how should I move the image files so those at least aren't broken? --Arch3ops (talk) 11:31, 3 August 2012 (CDT)
- Don't worry, this is an easy thing to do.
- Moving files was my preferred way of doing things, but that's how I ended up breaking an image, and now Toa needs to go delete it at some point.
- To move a file:
- * View the file
- * Choose the move button (like you see on every page)
- * Choose the appropriate name
- * The file will be moved, and a redirect will be placed on the original name.
- * The problem with this, is files cannot be moved to new extensions (.png files cannot be moved to .gif).
- My preferred way is creating redirects. This allows one image to be used on multiple pages, where many items may share the same icon.
- To make redirects:
- * Do not click on the broken file links. This will send you straight to the upload screen.
- * Instead, copy the whole file name (File:Name.extension) and place it right after "title=" in the URL.
- * Now you will have an uncreated page that gives you an option to edit or upload.
- * Edit the page and add the following line "#REDIRECT [[File:Name.extension]]"
- * Redirecs allow you to redirect files to other extensions (you can redirect a .png to a .gif)
- Hope this helps! Kitten (talk 15:59, 3 August 2012 (CDT)
It does, thank you very much. :) --Arch3ops (talk) 12:29, 6 August 2012 (CDT)
Ahh, it's nice to see you around here, again. ToaArrol (talk) 19:39, 11 October 2012 (CDT)
- Thanks! I'm currently on a short break from school, so I won't have a lot to contribute. Plus, I haven't even looked at MapleStory since I left. Kitten (talk 19:45, 11 October 2012 (CDT)
- Hear, hear!
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination Kennytran4 talk
Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination 05:01, 12 October 2012 (CDT)
Welcome back! I've been away for a while, too, working on my first update in a while right now. :) I hate to bother, but whenever you have time, could you increase the limits of scrolls that can be inputted in the Drop Table infobox? And maybe a section just for Recipes by their categories instead of just a huge list (i.e.Cygnus (Boss)) for better aesthetics and greater ease of access. Thanks!--Arch3ops (talk) 18:00, 14 October 2012 (CDT)