Fame is used to quantify players' popularity within MapleStory. Upon reaching level 15, a character can then raise (fame) or lower (defame) another character's fame. In addition, to avoid abuse of this system, one character can only fame/defame another character once a day, and the same character only once a month. And, of course, you cannot fame/defame yourself. A certain amount of Fame is required for a few quests such as Building Blackbull's New House and equipment such as Dark Starlight (M). Performing good deeds for others could result in others increasing your fame. As such, it is good to reward selfless deeds with fame. Some believe that a high fame level increases chances of getting rare items, believing that it raises monsters' drop rates for particular objects. However, as of now there is no proof that fame increases drop rates, nor is there evidence of an increased chance of success with upgrade scrolls.
Fame can also be earned through the completion of some quests.
Fame has a maximum of 30,000 points.
Buying and Trading Fame
Most of the time, doing good deeds for others does not guarantee fame. Instead, people who want fame will trade their daily fame in return. This action is open to abuse because there is no guarantee that one will recieve their fame in return; reporting the player to a Gamemaster is useless, as Nexon discourages trading fame in the first place.
High-leveled characters using the trade fame method will find that they can only gain one fame per day due to the rule that a character may only fame/defame once per day. They then will "buy fame", or pay Mesos in return for fame. As with trading fame, this is open to abuse, as a person may run off with payment without faming (or run away without giving the money for fame).
Usually people defame others because of Kill Stealing (KSing) or looting rare items that they were not supposed to take. Killing others' monsters might result in a defame, though most people would simply request the offender to change channels.
Oftentimes an argument or minor conflict arises, and culminates with a defame. This is generally considered bad behavior and is looked down upon. Defaming is considered a last resort and most offenders are simply urged to leave or change channels.
In the worst case scenario, Mass Defaming is a phenomenon within MapleStory where an entire group of players defames a specific character or group of characters. This is generally an extreme instance and is less common (except among guild conflicts), but is still considered deviant behavior in game and looked down upon by most players.
Also on a rare occasion some one will request a defame.
Quest that Reward Fame
- Lv 10 – A Mysterious Entity Onboard the Nautilus (Nautilus - Baine): 1 Fame
- Lv 15 – New Leaf City Quiz (New Leaf City - Icebyrd Slimm): 2 Fame
- Lv 20 – Shumi's Lost Coin (Kerning - Shumi): 1 Fame
- Lv 20 – The Legend of the Snail (Henesys - Pia): 3 Fame
- Lv 24 – Dancer's Ringing (Ariant - Sirin): 1 Fame
- Lv 25 – Sabitrama and the Diet Medicine (Sleepywood - Sabitrama): 1 Fame
- Lv 25 – Angie’s Beloved Costume (Singapore - Angie): 3 Fame
- Lv 30 – Dr Kim’s Comments (Omega Sector; Pre-requisite: Chief Stan's Letter - Chief Stan): 2 Fame
- Lv 30 – Shumi’s Lost Bundle of Money (Kerning - Shumi): 1 Fame
- Lv 30 – Building Blackbull’s New House (Perion - Blackbull; Pre-req: Fixing "Blackbull's" House ): 2 Fame
- Lv 30 – For Kyrin (Nautilus - Black Bark; Pre-req: Black Bark's Worry): 1 Fame
- Lv 30 – Lisa’s Special Medicine (Orbis - Moppie; Pre-requisite Moppie the Lone Dog): 5 Fame
- Lv 30 – Food-Hunting for Moppie (Orbis - Huckle; Pre-requisite: A Request from Moppie): 1 Fame
- Lv 30 – Delivering Food to Spiruna (Orbis - Kriel the Fairy): 1 Fame
- Lv 32 – Dancer Sword (Ariant - Sirin): 3 Fame
- Lv 35 – Lost in the Ocean (Aquaroad - Robinson; Obtain 1 SOS Letter first): 2 Fame
- Lv 35 – Rowen the Fairy and the Cursed Dolls (Ellinia - Rowen the Fairy): 9 Fame
- Lv 35 – The Old Tree (East Rocky Mountain II - Winston): 5 Fame
- Lv 35 – Jay’s Curiousity (Henesys - Jay; Pre-requisite: Find the Maple History Book ): 1 Fame
- Lv 35 – Gwin’s Thanks (Deep down Sleepwood Dungeon: Another Entrance - Gwin; Jay’s Curiousity needs to be in progress) : 1 Fame
- Lv 35 – Grendel the Really Old’s Glorious Days (Ellinia - Grendel ): 1 Fame
- Lv 36 – Subani’s Legacy(New Leaf City - John Barricade): 10 Fame
- Lv 38 – The Bounty Hunt(Ariant - Sirin): 6 Fame
- Lv 40 – Alpha Platoon’s Network of Communication (El Nath - Master Sergeant Fox): 1 Fame
- Lv 40 – The Chaos Behind Alfonse Green and the Nependeath Juice (Orbis Cloud Park I - Alphonse Green): 2 Fame
- Lv 40 – Shumi’s Lost Sack of Money (Kerning - Shumi): 1 Fame
- Lv 40 – ReVersal (New Leaf City - Elpam Gorlab): 5 Fame
- Lv 42 – Hughes’ New Research (Orbis Tower <B2> - Hughe): 3 Fame
- Lv 50 – Sabitrama’s Anti-Aging Medicine (Sleepywood - Sabitrama): 2 Fame
- Lv 50 – Reef’s Gratitude (Hidden Street: Cursed Forest - Reef; Pre-requisite: The Forest of Evil Spirit): 3 Fame
- Lv 50 – Malek’s Joy of Music (Malaysia: Muddy Banks 2 - Village Chief Malek): 26 Fame
- Lv 55 – Defeat King Clang! (Florina Beach - Riel): 10 Fame
- Lv 59 – Collect the Eggs (Ludibrium: Toy Factory Forgotten Path of Time <1> - Ghosthunter Bob): 11 Fame
- Lv 60 – Scadur’s New Fur Coat (El Nath - Lisa): 2 Fame
- Lv 65 – Monster and Conspiracy (Kerning - JM From tha Streetz ): 12 Fame
- Lv 65 – The Battle Against Zeno (Omega Sector: Command Center - Dr. Kim): 12 Fame
- Lv 70 – Legends of Hometown (Korean Folk Town - Chil Sung; Avoid losing fame by ignoring the girl): 15 Fame
- Lv 70 – Making the Reagent (Hidden Street: Yulete’s Lab - Yulete; To gain access to lab, must successfully complete Magatia PQ): 1 Fame
- Lv 70 - Organizing the Lab Report (Yulete’s Lab - Yulete): 1 Fame
- Lv 70 – Eliminating Obstacles (Yulete’s Lab - Yulete): 1 Fame
- Lv 71 – The Forgotten Master (Mu Lung - Tae Soo): 15 Fame
- Lv 75 – Eliminating King Sage Cat (Mu Lung Temple - Do Gong): 17 Fame
- Lv 80 – Papulatus (Ludibrium: Path of Time - Flo; Pre-req: The Time Sphere + A Piece of Crack): 30 Fame
- Lv 80 – Urban Jungle (New Leaf City - Jack Masque; once completed, may repeat every three days for 2 Fames): 5 Fame; 2 more fames if repeated.
- Lv 83 – Goddess’s Pet (Orbis: Cloud Park IV - Spiruna): 20 Fame
- Lv 85 – The Soul Collector (Forgotten Path of Time <1> - Ghosthunter Bob): 1 Fame per 24 Hours
- Lv 90 – Snowfield Giant (El Nath - Jade): 20 Fame
- Lv 90 – Freed from Darkness (Henesys - Jay): 10 Fame